Hey there, Friday! I ended this week with a pretty bad cold, so I am especially thankful for a weekend where I can just sleep and rest. Here’s what’s been on my mind this week….
- This week I listened to the Missing Richard Simmons podcast. It was so. good. It was weird, and fascinating, and sad, and overall just a really well-done character study. We all know Richard Simmons as the loud, funny 80s-dance-exercise enthusiast, but you don’t often think about the person behind that facade. If you weren’t aware, Richard Simmons disappeared from public life in 2014, and this podcast is a friend and journalist’s attempt to solve the mystery of why he left everything behind. I don’t ever listen to podcasts (I know, I’m behind the times!), but I decided to give this one a shot and was so glad I did. There are only six episodes, and they’re each less than thirty minutes so you can get through it pretty quickly. Some critics have argued that it goes too far in trying to pry into his private life, but I thought it was done with a lot of love and respect.
- This week I started reading What Happened by Hillary Clinton. I’ve only just started it, but my gosh is it inspiring. Some people (mostly men…) keep saying that she needs to stop talking about the election, that she’s just dividing everyone, that she doesn’t take responsibility, etc. That’s simply not true. If you want to know what I think about those arguments, check out this article from Vogue. She made a major crack in the glass ceiling for women and girls in this country, and I am exceedingly grateful for all she’s done. Even after having her hopes of being the first woman president crushed, Hillary manages to inspire others to keep going, all while being funny and charming and down-to-earth.
- Emmy Nominations came out this week, and in addition to reminding me how many shows I haven’t seen (#lawyerproblems), it reminded me how phenomenal Big Little Lies was. Both Reese Witherspoon and Nicole Kidman are nominated for their roles in the mini-series. I started watching it on the plane ride back from Rome to DC, and it was so good I was honestly disappointed when our 7+ hour flight landed because I wanted to watch more! You need to watch it immediately.
- Cassini ended it’s mission to Saturn this week. I didn’t know anything about it until I started reading articles this week and seeing the incredible images it captured over the years. It was fascinating to read about the feelings of the scientists and engineers who in some instances had worked on this mission for their entire careers. There’s something so humbling about thinking about how vast and mysterious the universe is.
- Check out this fantastic article about the hottest new mural in DC. I love that it incorporates the history of the site in such a vibrant way.
The photo above is one of my work looks from the week. Wearing an old Banana Republic dress, and my favorite work purse and shoes!
And lastly, here’s a few items from J.Crew on my wish-list this week!
Have a great weekend, and happy Friday!
Leave a Reply